Enjoy this video created to welcome you to WIS. We can’t wait to meet you and share with you all WIS has to offer!
WELCOME TO WESTFIELD INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (WIS)
- Mrs. Annette Patchett, Principal
- Mr. Mike McKinney, Assistant Principal
- Mrs. Carmen Carnes, Assistant Principal
- Mrs. Jennifer Sargent, Counselor
- Mr. Todd Lentz, Counselor
- Mrs. Amanda Hancock, Counselor
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Collaborative Learning Environment – Workshop Model
- Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum
- Strong Academic Content
- Student-Centered Learning Environment – Conferencing and Conferring
WHA TO EXPECT:
- 21st Century Skills
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
- STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math)
- Canvas – 5th through 12th Grade
- 1:1 Chromebook
- The best 1:1 “device” in the classroom has always been and always will be a great teacher. With technology in the classroom, the teacher becomes the encourager, adviser, and coach.
- We live in a digital world, and technology is a life skill.
- Technology in the classroom helps ensure full participation.
- There are countless resources for enhancing education and making learning more fun and effective.
- \With technology in the classroom, your students have instant access to fresh information that can supplement their learning experience.
- It gives students the opportunity to enhance their interaction with their classmates and instructors by encouraging collaboration.
- Morning Drop Off – The car line will form on the circle in front of the building. School staff will dismiss students from vehicles on the circle beginning at 8:25 a.m.
- Late Arrivals – Students who arrive after the start of school (8:45 a.m.) must be escorted into the building and signed in by a parent/guardian
A DAY IN A LIFE OF A FIFTH GRADER
- 8:45 a.m. The final bell rings/Homeroom
- 8:50 – 9:50 Science/Social Studies
- 9:55 – 10:35 SRT
- 10:40 – 11:40 Math
- 11:45 – 12:25 Math Extension
- 12:30 – 1:10 Specials (4 day rotation)
- 1:10 – 1:25 Midday
- 1:25 – 1:55 Lunch
- 2:00 – 3:35 Language Arts
- Music / Choir
- Project Lead the Way (PLTW)
- Innovation Center functions on an open schedule.
- Band and Genius Hour are available for all 6th-grade students.
- Full-Time Registered Nurse
- Part Time Registered Nurse
- Before and After School Childcare (BAC)
- Two Full-Time Counselors / One Part-Time Counselor
- School-Based Therapist
- Student Council
- Spring Musical
- Spell Bowl
- Math Bowl
- Robotics Club
- Broadcasting Club
- Additional Clubs – Kind Club, Cooking Club, Digiart Club, Coding Club, Girls on the Run, Good Neighbor Club, DIY Club, Young Hoosier Book Club, Book Club, other clubs created based on Teacher Interests and Student Interests
WHEN WILL I KNOW MY CHILD’S TEACHERS?
- Placements will be finalized in late summer.
- Class lists are scheduled to be posted in PowerSchool on July 30th.
- July 31st 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. August 1st 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Supply kits delivered to your home
- Receive locker assignments and combination for practice
- You may decorate the inside of your lockers during these hours.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
- Parent Cafe
- Volunteer in classrooms and for field trips
- Student Council Events (Fall and Spring Celebrations)
- WIMS PTO