The Westfield Chamber, in partnership with Invest Hamilton County and the other Hamilton County Chambers of Commerce, will be hosting a quarterly Mental Health First Aid training focused on employers throughout Hamilton County.
New 2022 Program
Typically, this training costs at least $250-$400 per person, but thanks to support from the Hamilton County Council and Commissioners via the ARPA Committee, this training will only cost $40 per person (includes materials and lunch) throughout 2022 and 2023. Mental Health America of Indiana will conduct training.
WHY MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID
Mental Health First Aid teaches you to identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders. This 8-hour training gives you the skills you need to reach out, provide initial support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem, and help connect them to appropriate care.
WHAT IT COVERS
- Common signs and symptoms of mental illness
- Common signs and symptoms of substance use
- How to interact with a person in crisis
- How to connect the person with help
- How to administer naloxone in the event of an opioid overdose
THE COURSE WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO APPLY THE ALGEE ACTION PLAN
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm
- Listen nonjudgmentally
- Give reassurance and information
- Encourage appropriate professional hel
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies
With our current state of affairs and society’s growing openness to discussing mental health, all of the Chambers in Hamilton County believe that this will become a staple program that we offer for years to come.